Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Book Review: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick Dunne’s clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick Dunne isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but hearing from Amy through flashbacks in her diary reveal the perky perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer? As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister Margo at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn’t do it, where is that beautiful wife? And what was left in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet? 
[The above is from http://gillian-flynn.com/gone-girl/]

I don't normally but I thought it worth saying that sensitive readers should proceed with caution. The book does contain coarse language as well as some violence and sexual content.
 
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, although I have to say now I listened to it as an audiobook rather than read it but thought it worked very well as an audio book.  I thought it was a fantastic thriller, with good pace and well drawn characters.  Their are lots of twists and turns but one major twist is really the main crutch of the story which I wont reveal here as it would be a major spoiler but I will say it is a big twist you really don't see coming.
 
Towards the end I felt I was trying to second guess the main characters, I felt I was getting to know them so well that by the end I was trying to guess what they would do next but the actions of the main characters at the end surprised me.  However when I thought about it more I did think that it was in keeping with the personality of the character and just added to my love of them.
 
I hated, hated, Nick for the first half of the book then I hated, hated, Amy.  I knew at the start I was being set up for something but never guessed what and honestly couldn't see a way past my hatred on Nick until the end of the story when I didn't so much as hate him but disliked him...a lot.  Lot of reviewers have said they hated Nick and Amy moaning about their financial hardship but I thought that added to just how self obsessed and socio/psychopathic the characters are.  Another problem other reviewers had was that towards the end the characters became inconsistent, again I think the point is that at the beginning you're not getting the true them and as the book goes on you're getting more and more into their psyche.  By the end you realise just how screwed up the two of them are.

My favourite scene wasn't actually a scene but the description of the house they had in Brooklyn.  The way Amy describes it in particular makes it sound luxurious and I could picture the skyline as they sat by the fire.

Overall a thoroughly enjoyable audiobook, I would recommend to fans of thrillers.

No comments:

Post a Comment